Craig Barton interviews guests from the wonderful world of education about their approaches to teaching, educational research and more. All show notes, resources and videos here: https://www.mrbartonmaths.com/blog/
Mark is a psychology teacher and Deputy Head from Scotland who joins me for the second time to discuss the challenges of teaching amidst the Cobid-19 outbreak, the importance of sleep for both students and teachers, and he thoughts about Dwek’s growth mindset. Hopefully this episode will keep you awake… in a good way.
For more information about today’s guest, plus links to the websites, resources and ideas they mention, please visit the show notes page: http://www.mrbartonmaths.com/blog/mark-healy-part-2-sleep-growth-mindset-and-teaching-amid-covid-19/
This episode of the Mr Barton Maths Podcast is kindly supported by Arc Maths.
You can find more information about their app for helping students remember those crucial maths skills – and register for a free trial – at arceducation.co.uk/for-schools/
Hello, and welcome to another episode of the Mr Barton Maths Podcast, with me Craig Barton.
This time around I spoke to Mark Healy.
Mark is a teacher of Psychology is a Deputy Headteacher up in sunny Scotland. He has had a wide range of teaching experience in the UAE & Hong Kong and in what we Englander’s would call Pupil Referral Units.
I first got to know Mark when I was lucky enough to see him give a talk about sleep at researchEd Blackpool a few years ago, and I have been a fan ever since. I have also been lucky enough to visit his school a couple of times to work with his team and see some of the wonderful things that are going on there.
This is Mark’s second appearance on the podcast. When he was on the show earlier in the yeast I had every intention of speaking about sleep. However – as if often the case with the guests I have on the show – we got carried away discussing lots of other things, most notably creating a culture in school whereby CPD thrives and change is sustainable.
This time around, however, I was determined to chat about sleep. But that didn’t stop us covering lots of other ground.
So, in what proved to be another fascinating conversation, we discussed the following things and plenty more besides:
- With Scottish schools having been back for 5 weeks now, what challenges have Mark and his team faced in the Covid climate that we now live in, and what advice does he have for the rest of us just beginning to get to grips with it?
- Then it is time for all things sleep related:
- Why is sleep so important?
- What happens if we don’t get enough sleep?
- And the perhaps most importantly of all…how can schools encourage students (and teachers) to take sleep seriously?
- We then turn our attention to growth mindset, and I ask is it an actual thing that teachers can help their students develop, or a load of nonsense?
- Mark ends with a succinct 1 word review of Angela Duckworth’s book, Grit.
I always find Mark fantastic company, and this chat was no exception.
My usual plugs:
- My online courses are here: craigbarton.podia.com
- My books are “Reflect, Expect, Check, Explain” and “How I wish I’d taught maths”
- If you are interested in sponsoring an episode of the show, then drop me an email at [email protected]
- You can help support the show via my Patreon page at patreon.com/mrbartonmaths