Craig Barton interviews guests from the wonderful world of education about their approaches to teaching, educational research and more. All show notes, resources and videos here: https://www.mrbartonmaths.com/blog/
After the LaSalle Maths Conference in Manchester on 23rd June 2018, Jo Morgan (@mathsjem) and I sat down to share our thoughts and takeaways on the sessions we had seen. In a cracker of an episode (if I do say so myself!), we discuss AQA’s Level 2 Certificate, the role of storytelling, Desmos, teaching indices in depth, working in a department with non-specialists, intelligent variation, and plenty more.
For more information about today’s guest, plus links to the websites, resources and ideas they mention, please visit the show notes page: http://www.mrbartonmaths.com/blog/conference-takeaways-mathsconf15/
Hello, and welcome to another episode of the Mr Barton Maths Podcast, with me Craig Barton.
This is another Conference Takeaways podcast from MathsConf15 in Manchester. I am once again joined by my co-host Jo Morgan (@mathsjem on Twitter and the creator of the online bible of maths resources, resourceaholic.com) to share our key thoughts and takeaways from the incredible selection of workshops we were lucky to see.
We discuss the following things, and much more besides:
- AQA’s updated Level 2 Certificate in Further Mathematics
- Why maths is beautiful?
- Teaching indices in depth
- Making the most of Desmos
- Mathematical storytelling
- Fermat’s Last Theorem
- Leading a department with non-specialists
- Making statistics (even more) beautiful
- Intelligent variation in mathematics
I really hope you find this discussion useful, whether you attended the conference or not. Thanks so much for Jo for taking the time to talk to me, to all the amazing workshop presenters who give up their time to share their ideas, and to Mark McCourt for creating something very special with MathsConf.
My usual plugs:
- You can help support the podcast (and get an interactive transcript of all new episodes) via my Patreon page at patreon.com/mrbartonmaths
- If you are interested in sponsoring an episode of the show, then please visit this page
- You can sign up for my free Tips for Teachers newsletter and my free Eedi newsletter
- My online courses are here: craigbarton.podia.com
- My books are “Tips for Teachers“, “Reflect, Expect, Check, Explain” and “How I wish I’d taught maths”
Thanks so much for listening, and I really hope you enjoy the show!