This episode of the Mr Barton Maths Podcast is kindly supported by SchoolExams.
’If you are interested in obtaining fully funded access to Schoolexams for your key year groups just send an email to [email protected] or visit schoolexams.co.uk/apply-for-fully-funded-pay-it-forward-licences/
Hello, and welcome to another episode of the Mr Barton Maths Podcast, with me Craig Barton.
This time around I was lucky enough to speak to Tom Harbour.
Tom is the CEO at Learning with Parents. Regular listeners might recall that I was lucky enough to attend Tom’s session at the virtual MA conference earlier this year, and I loved it. The session was all about how schools can engage parents in their children’s learning, and dispelled a few myths I held to be true. About 2 minutes into that session, I knew I wanted Tom on the show, and fortunately he was kind enough to accept my invitation.
So, in a wide-ranging conversation, we discussed the following things, and plenty more besides:
- What is the difference between parental involvement in school vs parental engagement in learning?
- What are some of the things schools typically do that might not lead to engagement in learning?
- What are some of the things schools could think about doing instead?
- How can schools help reach the “heard to reach” families?
- Do you think the pandemic has impacted either parental involvement in school or parental engagement in learning?
- What are some of the key barriers for parents getting involved in their child’s maths?
I loved this conversation, and I hope you will too. I will be back at the end with a few takeaways of my own.
On Twitter, Tom is: @mrtharbour
Learning with Parents can be found at: learningwithparents.com
Tom Harbour’s Big 3:
1. Parent Ping
2. Learning with Parents
3. Nice White Parents podcast
My usual plugs:
- You can help support the podcast (and get an interactive transcript of all new episodes) via my Patreon page at patreon.com/mrbartonmaths
- If you are interested in sponsoring an episode of the show, then please visit this page
- You can sign up for my free Tips for Teachers newsletter and my free Eedi newsletter
- My online courses are here: craigbarton.podia.com
- My books are “Tips for Teachers“, “Reflect, Expect, Check, Explain” and “How I wish I’d taught maths”
One thought on “#154 Tom Harbour: Engaging parents in their children’s learning”
Do you have anything on the difference between teaching a class and tutoring?