This episode of the Mr Barton Maths Podcast is kindly supported by SchoolOnline
If you sign up for a one year subscription and mention the Mr Barton Maths Podcast you get the rest of the acedmeic year free.
Visit us at classroom.schoolonline.co.uk to find out more.
Hello, and welcome to another episode of the Mr Barton Maths Podcast, with me Craig Barton.
This time around I spoke to Ollie Lovell.
Ollie is a maths teacher from sunny Australia. He is also a head of department, blogger, research ravager, pioneering podcaster, and best-selling author
Now this marks Ollie’s fourth appearance on the show, today talking about his wonderful new book: Tools for Teachers.
- What has Ollie learned in 5 years of his fantastic ERRR podcast?
- What is Tools for Teachers about and how is it for?
- Then we discuss a few ideas from the book that we haven’t focussed much on on the podcast over the years:
- Regulation and relationships
- Finally I challenge Ollie to recommend a podcast episode or something to read for three types of teachers:
- A trainee/novice teacher
- A teacher who has been teaching for 20 years
- A senior leader
As ever, Ollie does not disappoint.
Episodes of the ERRR for teachers to check out:
A trainee/novice teacher:
- ERRR #037. John Hollingsworth on Explicit Direct Instruction
- ERRR #031. Bill Rogers on Behaviour Management
- ERRR #057. Harry Fletcher-Wood on Habits of Success/
- ERRR#054. Peps McCrea on Motivating Students
An experienced teacher:
- ERRR #043. James Mannion and Kate McAllister on the Learning Skills Curriculum
- ERRR #033. Janet Kolodner on Project Based Inquiry Science
- ERRR #059. Naomi Fisher on Self-directed Education
A senior leader:
- ERRR #028. Viviane Robinson on Reducing Change to Increase Improvement
- ERRR#055. Rachel Macfarlane on Knowledge, Learning Power, and Character
- ERRR#053. James Handscombe on Assemblies and Ethos
On Twitter, Ollie is @ollie_lovell
Ollie’s website is ollielovell.com
You can check-out Ollie’s podcast, The Education Research Reading Room here
Ollie’s first book, Cognitive Load Theory in Action, is available from Amazon
Ollie’s second book, Tools for Teachers, is available from Amazon
You can sign up to Ollie Cognitive Load Theory Mastery course here.
My usual plugs:
- You can help support the podcast (and get an interactive transcript of all new episodes) via my Patreon page at patreon.com/mrbartonmaths
- If you are interested in sponsoring an episode of the show, then please visit this page
- You can sign up for my free Tips for Teachers newsletter and my free Eedi newsletter
- My online courses are here: craigbarton.podia.com
- My books are “Tips for Teachers“, “Reflect, Expect, Check, Explain” and “How I wish I’d taught maths”
One thought on “#160 Ollie Lovell: relations, regulation, leadership & tools for teachers”
Great tools and tips for teachers.