On this episode of the Mr Barton Maths Podcast I spoke to four of our Year 13 students from Thornleigh Saleisan College, Bolton, who have recently had interviews for Oxford or Cambridge University. I thought it might be useful if you have students thinking about applying to Oxbridge, or if you just want to hear some of the tricky questions maths they got asked!
We spoke for about half an hour, on the last day before the Christmas holidays, covering questions such as:
- What should you include in your personal statement?
- What was the most useful thing you did in preparation for your interview?
- What actually happens on the day of the interview?
- What questions did you get asked, and what happens if you don’t know the answer?
- If you could go back in time, what would you do differently?
The students involved and their subjects were: Ben Norris – Physics, Joe Middleton – History and Economics, Nushaiba Mohammed – Experiential Psychology, and Rob Singlehurst – Economics.
Music for the podcast is provided by podcastthemes.com. If you want to get in contact, on twitter I am @mrbartonmaths.
My usual plugs:
- You can help support the podcast (and get an interactive transcript of all new episodes) via my Patreon page at patreon.com/mrbartonmaths
- If you are interested in sponsoring an episode of the show, then please visit this page
- You can sign up for my free Tips for Teachers newsletter and my free Eedi newsletter
- My online courses are here: craigbarton.podia.com
- My books are “Tips for Teachers“, “Reflect, Expect, Check, Explain” and “How I wish I’d taught maths”